Hi...I'm Luna! Welcome to my blog.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Hiking Adventure #2 - Rattlesnake Ledge

As promised, here is my post about the hike we took last weekend.  Rattlesnake Ledge is across the way from the first hike we did at Cedar Butte.  Here's a link about Rattlesnake Ledge and it's location: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/rattle-snake-ledge  I don't know why they call it Rattlesnake Ledge, we didn't see any rattlesnakes. It was Ellie's first official hike...I strapped on my back pack and showed her the ropes.  We arrived at the trail head early to avoid the big crowds.  It was a sunny day and the trail was tons of fun.  A steady climb with lots of switch backs for 2 miles up to the top.  The trail had a lot of huge boulders covered with moss.  Ellie and I had tons of new smells to sniff and we left lots of pee-mails.  Ellie had to be on her leash most of the time...she's not as good off leash as I am.  I stay really close to Mom & Dad and I'm friendly to all the people and dogs we pass - Ellie not so much, she likes to growl at the dogs.  She still has some manners to learn.  As usual, everyone commented on how cute I am in my back pack, and everyone thought Ellie and I were adorable (we are!).  We pretty much had the trail all to ourselves on the way up.  The views at the top are spectacular with sites of the Snoqualmie Valley, Mt. Si and Rattlesnake Lake. There were a few people already at the top and we ran into lots of people starting their hike as we made our climb down.  It is smart to get there early and leave before the crowds as this is a very popular hiking spot.  We checked out Rattlesnake Lake after our hike, it is right next to the trail head.  It has a rocky beach and a large grass area where I ran around and around - it was so fun!  I saw a dog swimming in the lake to retrieve his tennis ball, but I have decided I am not a swimmer...or a retriever.  I do however get very excited when Mom or Dad throw rocks and sticks into the water...I would get my paws in for a minute, then race around the beach and grass area. Ellie isn't much of a swimmer either.  This was a very fun hiking adventure! See my rating for this hike below.

Luna's Hike Rating System
Difficulty: 1 - 4 paws  (4 being most difficult)
Dog Friendliness: 1 - 4 tail wags (4 tail wags being most friendly)


Rattlesnake Ledge rating:
Difficulty: 3 paws (4 mile round-trip, steep climb with lots of switchbacks)
Dog Friendliness: 4 tail wags (made lots of dog friends)



Ellie's first hike, I'm showing her how it's done.
Up we go!
Crossing a bridge with Dad.
Top of Rattlesnake Ledge...what a view!
Flowers
Looking at part of Rattlesnake Lake below.
Rattlesnake Lake

Family Portrait
Ellie and me.
My friend, Sid.  He was an old guy...very wise.
Mom on a stump.
One of the big boulders along the way.
At the bottom along the shore of Rattlesnake Lake.
Ready for the car ride home.

We are going on another hike tomorrow...my pack is ready to go!  Mom bought Ellie and I a new water bowl that is lightweight and fits in my pack - we can't wait to use it tomorrow!

Hope everyone is having a fun weekend...Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. You are getting to be a brave girl, Luna. Hershey wants to go on a hike with you guys.I'll see you soon. Grandpa Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep those blog posts rolling Luna.

    ReplyDelete